August 19th-25th, 2018
Weekly Schedule (08/19-08/25):
Monday, MHS, Pool Training Dianne 9:30-11am
Spring Mill Pond, Open Water Maria 6-7:45pm
Wednesday, MHS, Pool Training, Jim 9:30-11am
Saturday, SSS, Dunham Lake Melissa 7:45am
Walnut Creek, Pool Training Dianne 8:30-10am
Noteworthy: We had so many of our MAC teammates compete over the last week! Be sure and check out the Personal Note section for some of those highlights!
Pond practice Monday night will be a nice recovery swim! Come, enjoy, and then head out for dinner with your MAC teammates!
This week is the last weekend for an outdoor pool swim at Walnut Creek. Be sure to get it in before it’s gone for the summer!
Saturday Open Water Swim: SSS for Saturday 8/25, will be held at Dunham Lake. An email will follow later in the week with further information!
August 22 TRex Tri Island Lake
September 3 Labor Day Games, Spring Mill Pond
September 17 Fall Season/Schedule Start
April 12-14, 2019 (Pending) MI Masters State Meet Waterford Mott HS
Walnut Creek Swims: Here are some important things to know about swimming at Walnut Creek:
Time: Saturdays (8/25), 8:30-10:00am
Walnut Creek Country Club
25501 Johns Road
South Lyon, 48178
• You must be USMS registered to participate. If you are not we will require you register before jumping in the pool. This is a requirement of the insurance coverage through USMS.
• It is $5 cash on the pool deck. We will have an envelope on the table with a sign in sheet so we can keep track of attendance as well. Typically we have change but it’s helpful if you bring a $5. This covers the cost of the lifeguard and coach for practice. If you forget we will work on the honor system – bring it next time.
• There are kickboards available but that is it so bring your own gear!
• We will be using Remind to cancel in the event of inclement weather – NOT EMAIL!
Labor Day Games: Last year’s Games were such a hit we’re going to bring them back annually! This year the Games will be held on Monday September 3, 8:00am at Spring Mill Pond. We will have games and prizes and (hopefully) brunch/lunch afterwards! Don’t fret we will have trivia for all of you swimming buffs out there so brush up on your history and make sure you know what 6/1 hesitation is…We hope to see you then!
From the Coaches:
Kris: Gone for the summer.
Melissa: SSS this week will be at Dunham Lake!
Maria: Pond practice is an open water recovery swim with dinner afterward! See you there!
Dianne: Looking forward to working this week after an awesome week of competing!
On a Personal Note: Congratulations to all the participants in the 2018 Michigan Senior Olympics! MAC members competed hard, had and great time, and came home with lots of hardware! Here are some of the finishes:
Jacqueline Thorpe: 2nd 50BR, 2nd 200BR, 1st 50fly, 1st 100fly, 1st 200fly, 1st100IM
Joannie Eastridge: 3rd 50BK, 4th 100BK, 3rd 200BK, 2nd 100fly, 2nd 400IM
Tom Welsh: 3rd 50FR, 2nd 100FR, 3rd 50BR, 3rd 100BR, 3rd 50fly, 2nd 100IM
Jim Izzi: 3rd 200FR, 3rd 100BK, 4th 100BR, 3rd 200BR, 4th 100IM, 2nd 200IM
Steve Heaney: 2nd 200FR, 2nd 500FR, 2 200BR, 1st 200fly, 1st 200IM, 1st 400IM
Bill Palmer: 1st 50 FR, 2nd 50BK, 2nd 50BR, 2nd 50fly, 1st 100fly, 1st 100IM
Peggy Bruin: 1st 50FR, 1st 500FR, 1st 100fly, 1st 200IM, 1st 400IM
Laura Gogola: 1st 100BK, 1st 50BR
In addition to all the pool action during The Michigan Senior Games, I failed to mention that Jim Izzi also received 3rd place Bronze medals in the 10K and the Triathlon! Congratulations to Jim for those awesome accomplishments! #BAN
The Michigan Senior Olympics truly are an exciting, well-run event! Consider joining MAC next year at this event! (50 years and older are eligible)
Congratulations also go out to all the competitors at this mornings Swim to the Moon! Here is a list of your MAC teammates (Sorry if there is anyone that I’ve missed):
10K: Melissa Richardson, John Cassidy, Ron Vandekerckhove, Hong Weng, Carol Schmenske
5K: Mike Schuldinger, Paul Chadwick, George Sveda, Suzanne Mack, Maria Veen, Sue Haapaniemi, Gordon Frenette, Kevin Markell, Diane Petronio, Mashrur Alam
1.2 Mile: Dana McCorkle, Deb Evans, Gloria Raupp, Sheryl Walsh
And last but certainly not least; Nathalie Gardon competed in the Michigan Titanium’s ½ Ironman this morning and not only did she place 1st in her 55-59 age group she better her time from last year by 14 minutes! Congratulations Nathalie!
What an awesome week last week for MAC! Congrats to all!
Communication: If you have questions for any of the coaches don’t hesitate to ask! Here’s a quick list of emails to make that a bit easier!
- Password for the Weekly Communication section of the website is: macswimmers
Facebook: MAC Swimmers – Unofficial team communications
Go to: www.remind.com
1. Click Sign Up. You will be prompted for a phone number or email address. If you enter a phone number you will get a 4 digit code texted to you for verification. If you entered an email address, you will not get the 4 digit code.
2. You will be asked to enter: First, Last Name and a Password.
3. The next page will ask who you are: Teacher, Student, Parent, or Administrator. Select “Student”.
3. The next prompt is for a class code @_________. Enter: macsw06
4. Click Join. That’s it!