MAC Saturday Open Water Swims
Saturday Mornings with Coach Melissa, Carol and Candi at Dunham Lake. A USMS membership is required to cover your insurance and you must complete a MAC/Dunham waiver to swim. We will have printed copies of the wavier available before the swim. You only need to fill out a waiver one time for the summer.
This is an “informal” non-coached group swim, and a weekly donation to support the MAC team is appreciated, but not required.
MAC Saturday Open Water Swims give you a chance to join a group open water swim. For the 2021 season, we will meet on Saturday mornings according to the schedule below at Dunham Lake. Please carefully read the guidelines below for what you need to know:
- This is NOT a coached practice but instead a group swim of varying distances and speed. While we generally have a course/distance mapped out, you can adjust the swim for what you’re looking for in a workout. We watch out for one another in the lake. If you come… we expect you to buddy up with someone of a similar speed/distance and keep a watch on your fellow swimmers.
- This swim is for MAC members and their guests. You do not have to me be a member of MAC to swim! A USMS annual membership is required. Weekly participants are welcome to make a donation (to MAC), but it’s not required.
- ALL levels of swimmers are welcome.
- You must swim with a swim buoy or lifeguard rescue tube. Besides the obvious benefit of swimming with a flotation device, we are lucky enough to have volunteers in kayaks/canoes watching over us, and the buoys make it much easier for them to watch us (and for us to see each other). You can easy find a buoy or tube at Swim Outlet, New Wave Swim or Amazon. Another great idea is to swim with a whistle stored in the dry pocket of your buoy.
- We will use REMIND if there is a need to cancel a swim – if you’re not on the REMIND App, use the directions listed below to sign up.
- We will adhere to safety rules regarding lightning and take a conservative approach – if lightning and/or thunder is in the vicinity we will not swim and instead seek shelter as appropriate.
2021 Saturday Schedule:
- June 5th
- June 12th
- June 19th
- July 10th
- July 17th
- July 31st
- August 7th
- August 14th
- August 28th
Directions to Dunham Lake:
Main Beach: 1010 Murray Hill, Highland, 48357
- Take M-59 to Tipsico Lake Road north
- 1/4 mile north Tipsico Lake Road curves left, but keep to the right (north)
- Now you’re on Murray Hill
- Murray Hill dead ends at the water – Main Beach is on your right
- Park in the Main Beach parking lot
NOTE: We are the guests of residents Carol Schemanske and Candi Good. They have obtained permission from the subdivision association to use the lake and parking lot for our swims. Without their presence, we would not be able to swim here. If anyone should ask you…be sure to mention your hosts. (And thank them too.)
This parking lot has a locked gate. The gate will be locked at 7:55 a.m. If you are not there by then, you will not be able to swim. There is limited parking at the beach. Please carpool whenever possible.
The lock works both ways. Most of us swim for the same amount of time and we will unlock the gate at the conclusion of the swim. If you need to leave early or are only planning on swimming a short time, please reach out to one of our hosts ahead of time and let them know so they can make arrangements to let you out.
Questions, contact Melissa Richardson: firstname.lastname@example.org
To Sign Up For REMIND App:
- Go to: remind.com
- Click Sign Up. You will be prompted for a phone number or email address. If you enter a phone number you will get a 4-digit code texted to you for verification. If you enter an email address, you will not get the 4-digit code.
- You will be asked to enter: First, Last Name and a Password.
- The next page will ask who you are: Teacher, Student, Parent, or Administrator. Select “Student”.
- The next prompt is for a class code @_________. Enter: macsw06
- Click Join. That’s it!