June 9th-15th, 2019
Weekly Schedule (6/9-6/15):
Monday 9:30-11am Jim
Tuesday 9:30-11am Jim Open Water
Wednesday 9:30-11am Jim
Thursday 6-8:30pm Maria
Friday 9:30-11am Jim Race Pace
Saturday 8:00am SSS
Noteworthy: Pond Practices start this Thursday night at Spring Mill Pond within Island Lake Recreation Area. Coach Maria will host this practice and swimmers will be in the water no later than 6:15pm. This is a fantastic way to be introduced and/or improve your open water swimming technique and efficiency! Come and swim with Coach Maria.
Big Swim this Saturday, June 15 at Tom Welsh’s house on Long Lake in Hartland. The lake is approximately 2.5 miles around. Any distance you want to swim is okay. There will be a couple kayaks and a pontoon boat to support the swimmers. We’ll be jumping in around 10:00am. Food and drinks and all the swimming you could ask for! (a small donation can be made to the swim team – ALL proceeds going to the MAC Team fund). MAC swimmers guests and non-swimmers are welcome. Please RSVP to: email@example.com The address is: 1411 Shady Crest, Hartland, MI. Don’t miss this great event!
Summer Schedule starts on Monday June 17th. Here is the schedule for the summer. More details to come next Weekly.
Monday 9:30-11am MHS
Wednesday 7:15-8:45am Walnut Creek CC, South Lyon
Thursday 6-8:30pm Spring Mill Pond
Saturday 8:00am SSS
8:30-10am Walnut Creek CC
June 13 Start Pond Practices
June 15 Big Swim Hosted by Tom Welsh
June 17 Summer Schedule Starts
June 26 TREX TRI
July 12 Motor City Mile/Swim Across America
July 21 EMU Warmest Meet
July 24 TREX TRI
July 28 Dearborn LCM Meet
August 10 Swim for Grand Traverse Bay
August 11 Mighty Mac Swim
August 12 Michigan Senior Olympics, Oakland Univ.
August 18 Swim to the Moon
August 21 TREX TRI
September 2 Labor Day Games
September 16 Fall Season Start
Summer Open Water: Open water swim season will be here before you know it! Here are some options for those of you who are interested in training opportunities and/or events:
- MAC Open Water Swim Practice: The upcoming summer MAC practice schedule will include a Thursday evening practice at Spring Mill Pond with Maria (Starting June 13).
- MAC SSS (Saturday Swim Spots): We’ll continue to have our informal group swims on Saturday mornings. Looking to start this on June 1st – stay tuned for confirmation and details as we get closer! This year we’re looking at making Dunham Lake our “home” lake but still traveling around to other lakes here and there.
- For those of you new to MAC…Coach Melissa and Kim Yarima lead a group swim every Saturday morning during the summer months. It’s not a formal practice and there’s no coaching – just a group swim of varying distances. We use the buddy system and watch out for one another. Various levels and speeds of swimmers – EVERYONE welcome!
We would strongly recommend that anyone interested in SSS or other open water swims over the summer months, purchase a swim bouy and a whistle. Safety is key when we are out in open waters! Both are easy to find at Swim Outlet or New Wave Swim or even Amazon. Here are links: https://www.amazon.com/New-Wave-Swim-Swimmers-Triathletes/dp/B072MMKXT3/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=D32FUC414PEV&keywords=new+wave+swim+buoy&qid=1557105056&s=gateway&sprefix=new+wave%2Caps%2C267&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1
- Swim to the Moon: Looking to get a new swim event on your calendar to train for? Consider Swim to the Moon (open water swim event in Pinckney State Recreation Area) on Sunday 8/18! There are distances for everyone: .5 mile, 1.2 mile, 5k and 10k. If you sign up, be sure to select the “Milford Athletic Club (MAC)” team designation so we can track our #BAN MAC swimmers! Click link for more information: https://runsignup.com/Race/MI/Gregory/SwimTotheMoon
BIG SWIM: BIG SWIM 2019 – Saturday, June 15th:
It is time for the first Big Swim of 2019, scheduled for June 15th at Tom Welsh’s Home, on Long Lake in Hartland: (just 20 minutes from Milford). The lake is approximately 2.5 miles around. Any distance you want to swim is okay. There will be a couple kayaks and a pontoon boat to support the swimmers. We’ll be jumping in around 10:00am. Food and drinks and all the swimming you could ask for! (a small donation can be made to the swim team – ALL proceeds going to the MAC Team fund). MAC swimmers guests and non-swimmers are welcome. Please RSVP to: firstname.lastname@example.org The address is: 1411 Shady Crest, Hartland, MI. Don’t miss this great event!
From the Coaches:
Kris: Gone for summer.
Maria: Pond Practices start this week! We will meet at 6:00pm Thursday nights, at Spring Mill Pond in Island Lake Recreation Area. We will be in the water and swimming by 6:15pm at the latest! You must have:
- Current MAC Masters card with classes still left on the card.
- Bright colored cap (MANDATORY)
- Optional, but highly suggested: a lifeguard tube or SaferSwimmer buoy, and a whistle.
We will follow the National Lightning Safety Institute guidelines, meaning we will cancel the swim in case of storms in the area. If it’s raining with no lightning, plan on swimming.
Dianne: Thanks Coach Jim for taking the reins this week while my family and I travel home to KY. See you next week at Walnut Creek!
On a Personal Note: We have State Meet shirts available (sizes M and L only). The cost of any un-sold shirts will be deducted from our State Meet profits. Shirts are available for sale on-deck ($12) from a coach and on-line ($15 including shipping) on the MAC website.
Old MAC State Championship Banners are FREE to a good home, see an on-deck coach.
Communication: If you have questions for any of the coaches don’t hesitate to ask! Here’s a quick list of emails to make that a bit easier!
- Password for the Weekly Communication section of the website is: macswimmers
Facebook: MAC Swimmers – Unofficial team communications
Go to: www.remind.com
1. Click Sign Up. You will be prompted for a phone number or email address. If you enter a phone number you will get a 4 digit code texted to you for verification. If you entered an email address, you will not get the 4 digit code.
2. You will be asked to enter: First, Last Name and a Password.
3. The next page will ask who you are: Teacher, Student, Parent, or Administrator. Select “Student”.
3. The next prompt is for a class code @_________. Enter: macsw06
4. Click Join. That’s it!