August 5th-11th, 2018
Weekly Schedule (08/05-08/11):
Monday, MHS, Pool Training Jim 9:30-11am
Spring Mill Pond, Open Water Maria 6-7:45pm
Wednesday, MHS, Pool Training, Jim 9:30-11am
Thursday, MHS, Pool Training, Jim 7-8:30pm
Saturday, SSS, Lower Pettibone Lake Melissa 7:45am
Walnut Creek, Pool Training Dianne 8:30-10am
Noteworthy: Notice on the schedule we’ve added additional Walnut Creek swims. Three more Saturdays in August (11, 18, 25) you’ll have the chance to swim in an awesome outdoor pool facility! See below for more details.
For everyone interested in this year’s Labor Day Games Trivia, Coach Maria has dropped the first hint! See below in the coach’s notes.
Saturday Open Water Swim: SSS for Saturday, 8/11 will be at Lower Pettibone Lake. More detailed into will follow this week in an email.
Swim to the Moon:
If you’re signed up for Swim to the Moon, or considering it, please read on for more details about the event!
- Sunday, 8/19
- Halfmoon Lake, Pinckney Recreation Area
- 4 distances to choose from: Half Mile, 1.2 Mile, 5k and 10k
- To register, visit: https://runsignup.com/Race/MI/Gregory/SwimTotheMoon
- Remember to choose Team MAC when registering!
There are a few new things about the event this year:
- Contender Wave: A new “Contender Wave” will kick off the 5k and 10k starts. If you expect to have a qualifying finishing time (2:20 for faster for the 10k, 1:10 or faster for the 5k) you can fill out theContender Wave Entry Form.
- Time Trial Start: Swimmers will line up on the beach and, at the race starter’s signal, enter the water individually three seconds apart. It will be organized by waves that are color-coded by swim cap color.
- Personal swim buoys such as SaferSwimmers will be allowed – as long as they’re not orange, so they don’t get confused with the course sighting buoys.
Visit the race website to learn more!! https://epicraces.com/event/swim-to-the-moon/
Good luck with your training and feel free to reach out with any questions. Go MAC!
August 13 Senior Olympics Oakland Univ.
August 16 Last Thursday (7-8:30pm) practice of the summer.
August 19 Swim to the Moon Half Moon Lake
August 22 TRex Tri Island Lake
September 3 Labor Day Games, Spring Mill Pond
September 17 Fall Season/Schedule Start
April 12-14, 2019 (Pending) MI Masters State Meet Waterford Mott HS
Walnut Creek Swims: Here are some important things to know about swimming at Walnut Creek:
Time: Saturdays (8/11, 8/18, 8/25), 8:30-10:00am
Walnut Creek Country Club
25501 Johns Road
South Lyon, 48178
• You must be USMS registered to participate. If you are not we will require you register before jumping in the pool. This is a requirement of the insurance coverage through USMS.
• It is $5 cash on the pool deck. We will have an envelope on the table with a sign in sheet so we can keep track of attendance as well. Typically we have change but it’s helpful if you bring a $5. This covers the cost of the lifeguard and coach for practice. If you forget we will work on the honor system – bring it next time.
• There are kickboards available but that is it so bring your own gear!
• We will be using Remind to cancel in the event of inclement weather – NOT EMAIL!
Senior Olympics: Registration for the 2018 Michigan Senior Games has closed.
Swim to the Moon: August 19th at Half Moon Lake! Let’s continue MAC’s tradition of excellence and participation in this fantastic event! Check out the website (https://epicraces.com/event/swim-to-the-moon/) and also our spin-off Facebook page MAC to the Moon! Registration closes on Thursday August 16th.
Labor Day Games: Last year’s Games were such a hit we’re going to bring them back annually! This year the Games will be held on Monday September 3 at Spring Mill Pond. We will have games and prizes and (hopefully) brunch/lunch afterwards! Don’t fret we will have trivia for all of you swimming buffs out there so brush up on your history and make sure you know what 6/1 hesitation is…We hope to see you then!
From the Coaches:
Kris: Gone for the summer.
Melissa: See you at Lower Pettibone Lake this week.
Maria: 1st Hint for Labor Day Games: The theme is open water craziness. What do you know about open water swimmers?
Dianne: Jim will be filling on for me this week but I’m looking forward to seeing many of you on Saturday at Walnut Creek!
On a Personal Note:
Communication: If you have questions for any of the coaches don’t hesitate to ask! Here’s a quick list of emails to make that a bit easier!
- Password for the Weekly Communication section of the website is: macswimmers
Facebook: MAC Swimmers – Unofficial team communications
Go to: www.remind.com
1. Click Sign Up. You will be prompted for a phone number or email address. If you enter a phone number you will get a 4 digit code texted to you for verification. If you entered an email address, you will not get the 4 digit code.
2. You will be asked to enter: First, Last Name and a Password.
3. The next page will ask who you are: Teacher, Student, Parent, or Administrator. Select “Student”.
3. The next prompt is for a class code @_________. Enter: macsw06
4. Click Join. That’s it!